Updated: May 8
If you were to ask me for advice on how to become an author. Here are six tips that I would share with you!
1. If you’re passionate about writing then do it, but know that passion doesn’t always pay bills. As an author, you have to market yourself as a brand. This may put you outside of your comfort zone but it’s needed. You have to put yourself out there so that people can get to know you and your book.
2. Don’t get offended if someone doesn’t like your book. Everyone didn’t like Jesus but yet he is the most talked-about man in history! Be open to constructive criticism.
3. Better your craft. Invest in yourself with workshops, books, classes, mentors and more. Things are always changing in the publishing industry, so you should always be learning! If you're not sure what you need then schedule some time to talk with me.
4. Write every day. Whether it's in a journal or blogging, your writing ‘juices’ should constantly flow. You never know when the idea for your next greatest work will come.
5. Read. As a writer, you should read. Stephen King said it best: “I am always chilled and astonished by the would-be writers who ask me for advice and admit, quite blithely, that they “don’t have time to read.” This is like a guy starting up Mount Everest saying that he didn’t have time to buy any rope or pitons.”
6. Let it go. Some people find it hard to publish their first book after it's been written. What’s the point of writing it if you’re not going to share it. Stop holding on to the draft and publish it already. People need to read your words. Your words do matter!
Many blessings and much success in your writing journey.
Regards, Ashley King